Hunting & Fishing Licenses

Licenses at the Town Office

The Town of Westport Island is an agent for the State of Maine Inland Fisheries & Wildlife Department to issue hunting and fishing licenses.

Licenses may be purchased during regular business hours, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Tuesdays, 10:00 a.m to 2:00 p.m. on Wednesdays, and 10:00 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursdays, or by mail if you send a copy of your current license and the appropriate fee.  Payments at the Town Office must be by cash or check.

Licenses online

You may also purchase your licenses online through the State of Maine Online Sportsman’s Electronic System (MOSES).

State laws & seasons

Annual Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (IF&W) guides which contain state laws and seasons for fishing and hunting are available at the Town Office and on the town website below.  Up-to-date information is also available online at: Maine IF&W.

2021 IF&W Maine Fishing Guide

2021-22 IF&W Maine Hunting Guide

2021 - 2022 IF&W Maine Hunting Quick Reference Guide

2021-2022 IF&W Legal Hunting Hours

2021-2022 IF&W Migratory Game Bird Quick Reference Guide

2021-2022 IF&W Wild Turkey Hunting Quick Reference Guide

Lifetime Licenses

Resident lifetime licenses for hunting, fishing, archery, and trapping are now available to residents of Maine who are 65 years of age or older or who are 15 years of age or younger.  These licenses are not available at the Town Office and can only be obtained through IF&W's main office in Augusta in person or by mail.  The Lifetime Resident Application along with supporting documentation can be mailed to:

Resident Lifetime License
Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
284 State Street, 41 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333-0041

Lifetime Resident Application

Purchasing Licenses for Others

You may purchase licenses for others. Many purchase licenses for gifts on occasions such as Christmas or birthdays. If this is the first time for our town to issue a hunting license to anyone (other than a junior hunting license), we must see proof of either a hunter safety card or a license issued from another municipality or state.