Code Enforcement Officer
The Code Enforcement Officer (CEO) is responsible for administering and enforcing the Town of Westport Island's Land Use Ordinance, Subdivision Ordinance, and other relevant local ordinances as well as certain State statutes and building codes. The CEO also assists current and prospective landowners, developers, and businesses with the local permitting process and site design review.
Permits are needed for new home construction, modular homes, new and re-located mobile homes, in-ground pools, communication towers, sheds, garages, decks and other additions to the above ground structure. A permit is not needed for normal maintenance and repairs of existing permitted structures.
Certain activities within 250 feet of lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, and wetlands require Shoreland Zoning permitting from the Town. These include building projects, additions, new accessory structures, normal building maintenance and repairs, road construction, earth moving activities of greater than ten cubic yards, temporary and permanent docks, campgrounds, and other related activities. Depending upon circumstances, you may have to be heard by the Planning Board.
What the Code Enforcement Officer Does
- Reviews and approves building permit applications
- Investigates possible violations of the town’s Building, Land Use and Shoreland Zoning ordinances
- Issues Building Permits
- Works with the Planning Board when a project requires review
- Rejects work, finished projects, or materials which do not comply with state rules and outlines the changes necessary to obtain compliance in collaboration with the Board of Selectmen
- Keeps an accurate account of all fees collected and transfers those fees to the municipal treasurer
- Keeps a complete record of all essential transactions (permits, photos, etc.) at the Town Office
Building Permit Application and Fees
See Westport Island’s Town Ordinances and the Town’s Building Permit Instructions and Fee Schedule with supporting forms below.
Application for a Building Permit
Building Permit Instructions and Fee Schedule
Excerpt from the Shoreland Zoning Ordinance
Soil Erosion Sedimentation Control Plan
Underground Propane Storage Tank Data Form
Whether you have a question about whether a permit is needed, how to complete an application or need to schedule a site review, call the CEO.