ALL shellfish digging on Westport Island requires a valid license issued by the Town. Fees collected through the license program will be used for seeding and other operations necessary to maintain and grow the shellfish population.
See the Westport Island Shellfish Conservation Ordinance for complete information governing recreational and commercial licenses.
To keep current on areas open to shellfish digging, please see the Maine Dept. of Marine Resources (DMR) Shellfish Closures Map and zoom in to Westport Island to see the status of areas around the island. Then check the DMR Shellfish Closures Webpage for any short term or emergency closures by scrolling down and clicking on any notices related to area "WN." You can also call the DMR Shellfish Sanitation Hotline at 1-800-232-4733.
What we Do
The Shellfish Conservation program for the Town of Westport Island is administered by the Shellfish Conservation Committee. Five members and two alternates are appointed by the Select Board for a
term of one to five years. The Committee's responsibilities include:
- Working annually with the Department of Marine Resources to establish the number of shellfish licenses to be issued;
- Reviewing the status of shellfish resources and working with the Department of Marine Resources to implement a plan of conservation measures;
- Proposing expenditures to the Board of Selectman for shellfish conservation;
- Ensuring that the Shellfish Conservation Ordinance stays current;
- Maintaining records of shellfish harvesting on Westport Island;
- Recommending conservation closures and openings to the Selectmen in conjunction with Area Biologists from the Department of Marine Resources; and
- Submitting an annual report of license sales and committee activities to the Department of Marine Resources.
For questions or more information, you may contact Committee Chair Lincoln Richardson, 882-9615, or contact the Town Clerk.
|Adam Webber||Vice Chair & Warden||2027|
|Julie Casson||Alternate #1 & Warden||2024|
|George "Chuck" Richardson, III||Alternate #2||2024|