The Wright Landing (aka Ferry Landing) Committee
In 2004, town residents approved the purchase of the Wright property, which included a house on the site, for a municipal boat landing. The property is also called the Ferry Landing because of its historical significance. For about 100 years, it was where the ferry transported islanders and visitors to and from the mainland until a causeway was built at the north end of the island in 1950. When the Wright property was purchased by the town in 2004, the goal was to provide public recreational access to the water as well as public commercial access for fishermen and diggers.
The Wright Landing Committee was formed to provide for the care and supervision of the Wright Landing and Municipal Boat Launch, its grounds and associated structures. Westport has benefited from these committed volunteers who have transformed this property into a community landmark.
What we do
- Ensure that the Wright house and associated non-public structures on the property (deck, steps, walks, driveway, fence, sheds, and outbuildings, etc.) are maintained in good condition, including performing or supervising general maintenance tasks such as staining and painting, as well as any minor repairs. Necessary contracted services are approved by the Board of Selectmen.
- Act as caretakers for the house and associated non-public structures, including keeping shrubs pruned and cleared around structures so that air can circulate, removing non-residential rubbish, removing snow from the roof and deck after a heavy snowfall, ensuring that egress areas are not blocked from the outside.
- Act as caretakers for and ensure proper maintenance of the privy, boat launch, jetty and other public structures (walks, picnic tables, benches, signs and floats).
- Oversee the seasonal installation and removal of the ramp and floats.
- Report to and make recommendations to the Selectmen on improvements, repairs and concerns.