The Broadband and Cable Committee
Formerly named the Cable Contract Negotiating Committee, this committee was initiated in 2016 to renegotiate a Franchise Agreement with Spectrum (formerly Time Warner). The goal of this new contract is to make cable programming services available to all residents and includes making modern internet data speeds available to all as well. While the Committee is in continuing Franchise Agreement negotiations with Spectrum, the focus of its work has been expanded to include making broadband internet services available to all residents, as set forth in the Comprehensive Plan resulting in the name being changed to The Broadband and Cable Committee.
To fulfill its expanded role the Committee has undertaken the following activities:
- Participating in Lincoln County Regional Planning Commission efforts to secure improved internet services for the County.
- Opening and maintaining a dialogue with local Internet Service Providers.
- Monitoring relevant internet technology advances.
- Monitoring other Maine community broadband initiatives.
- Striving to increase dialogue with Westport community members
- Developing options to achieve complete island broadband availability
- Researching state and federal financing opportunities
|Ross Norton||Selectman Member|