TOWN OF WESTPORT ISLAND

BOARD OF SELECTMEN, ASSESSORS AND OVERSEERS MEETING

May 9, 2007

 

Present:

 

Board members: George D. Richardson, Jr. and John B. Swanton                  

 

Citizens: Bill Cooney, Sandra & Ben Crehore, Richard DeVries, Norma Dreyfus and “Bub” Greenleaf

 

Meeting Commenced:

 

1.  George called the meeting to order at 7:03 p.m.

 

Business Conducted:

 

2.      Warrant No. 45 for $12,831.70 was reviewed. George moved accept; Jack, 2nd; vote: 2-0.

 

3.      Minutes of the May 2, 2007 meeting were reviewed. George moved to accept; Jack, 2nd; vote: 2-0.

 

4.      The letters of thanks to the School Subsidy Ad Hoc Committee were signed.

 

5.      The appointments to the Town Hall Committee that were previously approved were signed.

 

6.      George moved to approve Dedee’s attendance at a MOSES training on June 11 & 12.  Jack seconded the motion; vote: 2-0.

 

7.      Bill Cooney of the Town Hall Committee reported:

A.     The sentiment of the committee was that the handicapped parking area had to be on the south side.  This meant that bids for north side paving were returned unopened as the job needs re-engineering.  Bill Hopkins and Garry Cromwell have tentatively decided it can be accomplished.

B.     The committee is determining letter sizes vs. prices.

C.     Regarding the flagpole and front building lighting:  an electrician will be contacted.

D.     The committee would also like to find out why all the water in the building is coming from the old well only.  They will be contacting a plumber.

 

 

8.      Sandra Crehore asked if there could be a way to light the town flag at the head of the island.  She will research further.

 

9.      The bids for town mowing were opened:

A.  B&B Lawncare:  Town Hall $30 per moving; Town Office:  $15.  Town Roads: $1,000.

B.   Coastal Ground Maintenance: Both town buildings:  $20 each per mowing.

 

George will ask B&B if they would do the roads only.  A decision was tabled until a response from B&B is received.

 

10.  The agreement with LMF to amend the “Wright” property agreement to allow the town to sell it to a private party was reviewed.  George moved to sign; jack, 2nd; vote: 2-0.  The agreement was signed.

 

11.  A correction to a letter from E. Davies Allan asking that a Planning Board member be removed was delivered to the board before the meeting by Marianne Williams.  Since Brenda had done the research on this and was not able to attend, action was tabled until she could be available.

 

12.  Two pier permit hearings were tentatively scheduled for 5: 30 and 6:00 p.m. on May 29, 2007.  George will check with the CEO if these times are ok.

 

Meeting Adjourned:

 

13.  George moved to adjourn at 8:42 p.m.; Jack, 2nd; Vote: 2-0.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

 

 

George D. Richardson, Jr.

 

 

 

John B. Swanton