Westport Island is located on Maine’s mid-coast in Lincoln County in Sheepscot Bay. Surrounded by the Sheepscot River to the East and the Back and Sasanoa Rivers to the West, Westport Island is a quiet and picture perfect small Maine community of about 720 year-around residents, which, like other Maine coastal communities, swells in the summer. Originally known as Jeremysquam, Westport Island was incorporated as part of Freetown (now Edgecomb) in 1774. In 1828, Westport became a separate town.
Westport Island flourished in the early 1800’s as a fishing and farming community—one of the most prosperous in Maine. Today, Westport Island is home to a broad cross section of residents from families who have lived here for generations to new residents and retirees who are proud to call Westport Island home.